If your dog swallowed something it shouldn’t have, it’s good to know some first aid measures. The article describes an emergency procedure. Only perform this procedure if instructed to do so by a veterinarian. I never used this method, but I was close once. In my particular case, I ended up performing a Heimlich-Maneuver on my dog instead, and it worked. I am certified in pet first aid by the Red Cross. I recommend it. It comes in handy after your dog swallowed something it shouldn’t have. It’s also great in other emergencies.
Inducing Vomiting After Your Dog Swallowed Something
If you ever have to induce vomiting, please use a food-grade hydrogen peroxide product. This is preferable to the ones laden with heavy metals and other pollutants. The $0.99 hydrogen peroxide products are full of such toxins. I personally use the Food-Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3% Solution from Essential Oxygen. It is available on Amazon. The following procedure was adopted from Pet Place. I recommend you also check their website for other veterinary-reviewed procedures.
Frequently, dogs swallow items, chemicals, or foods that can potentially be dangerous or even toxic. If you see this ingestion, try making your dog vomit it up quickly to avoid the potential danger.
Inducing vomiting should be done only if instructed by your veterinarian. The procedure can be hazardous. 24-hour veterinary hotlines can guide you in case of emergencies. Or, if possible, contact your family veterinarian or local veterinary emergency center. They can also advise on the appropriateness of inducing vomiting for each specific incident. The item or substance your dog swallowed, the time, and the amount matter.
Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. Use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and does not stay in the body.
The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. After administration, walk your dog around or gently shake its stomach area. The purpose is to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Expect vomiting within 15 to 20 minutes. Should your dog not vomit, you can safely repeat the process one more time. If possible, get what your dog swallowed out of his system. If it is still ineffective, your dog may need to visit the veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.
After administering the hydrogen peroxide solution, watch your pet, so it does not re-ingest the substance. In case of toxicity concerns, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian for analysis.
In Case of Emergency
If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call for help. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency. They are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Alternatively, you can also call the Pet Helpline Animal Poison Control Center.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435 | web
Pet Poison Helpline: (855) 764-7661 | web